Dryness of the skin and cracks on the soles and feet are a common problem to persons of any age and any ethnic origin. The skin looks unhealthy and unhygienic, even though the person takes all possible care and precaution. However, this is the result of loss of proper nourishment and lack of good grooming habits.
Even we, human beings shed our skin. It might appear strange but most of dust that surrounds us in the air contains dead-skin particles; indicating the fact that our skin keeps on discarding the dead-cells, compensating the loss through regeneration of fresh cells, continuously during one’s lifetime. However, this process of regeneration slows down, as one gets aged. Skin also has the competence to protect itself, as also the internal organs against the vagaries of the nature. Even if the climate is cold or hot, the skin has the capacity to adapt and protect.
Causative factors for cracked feet:
- Diseases and Disorders-Athlete’s foot, Psoriasis, Eczema, Thyroid disease, Diabetes and some other skin conditions may also cause cracked heels.
- Being overweight can put a lot of pressure on the heel of a person’s foot.
- Skin condition/diseases such as diabetes, psoriasis or eczema, cause people to suffer from dry skin, and dry skin that is responsible for cracked feet.
- Dry skin or xerosis is one of the most common causes that lead to cracked heels.
- Hard floors may also cause cracks in the feet. Standing for prolonged periods in a damp area such as a bathroom can cause dry and cracked heels.
- Deficiency of vitamins, minerals and zinc
- Continuous exposure to water
- Surface on the skin are simple indicators of a faulty internal activity or an external abuse.
- Red or Flaky Patches on feet
- Peeling and Cracked Skin: This symptom generally follows the red or flaky skin. Peeling cracked skin is a definite sign of dry cracked heels and immediate measures must be taken to remedy the condition
- Itchy skin is caused by the abnormal shrinking of the upper layers of dry skin. This excessive shrinking causes the stretching of the skin below and around the affected areas and this results in general discomfort and itching.
- Bleeding or discharge from cracks in heels is a very serious problem as it indicates that the cracks not only affect the upper layers of the skin but also the lower layers of tissue. Deep cracks in the heels will also increase an individual’s risk of suffering from a skin infection in this area
Extreme conditions of surrounding atmosphere and improper care to the skin can result in dryness and disease. Dry skin could be also result because of excess usage of soap, which clears away the greasy protection of the skin that is produced as oil by the skin-glands. Psycho-somatic relationship cannot be ruled out in diseases of the skin. Emotional crises often lead to disruption of health, which is precipitated by climatic conditions like sunlight, snow, rain water, or the like, manifesting as a skin-disease.
Skin disease can express in many forms. Cracks are most common, affecting the skin on the lips or in the palms of the hands, and soles of the feet. They might even bleed, and cause pain and suffering.
- PETROLEUM: The medicine is made from this ‘CRUDE ROCK OIL’, which has that smell and taste. This is used as a remedy when the skin looks dry, rough and cracked, with sensitivity to even the slightest scratch. Winter fissures, cracks and peeling of skin can be relieved by the dosage of petroleum.
- GRAPHITES: This is a mineral which is used as a medicine, effectively useful in skin affections with severe itching due to persistent dryness. Painful cracks and fissures in the ends of fingers, cracks in nipples, mouth and between fingers and toes could be brought to normal health by administration of this homoeo remedy. It is commonly known as ‘Black Lead’, which occurs as a black grey, soft gelatinous solid. This could be used as a preventive, when the skin just appears to crack with an unhealthy look. It also helps to cure dry skin with ulcers that discharge sticky fluid.
- SULPHUR: It is the sublimated elemental sulphur, which is converted and used as medicine, in most therapies and practices of medicine. Homoeo also uses this, to relieve skin troubles that look very dirty, unhealthy and extremely dry. Cracks that develop in the lips and corners of the mouth with much dryness can be relieved with this remedy.
- Acid.nit: Crackling of feet with bleeding on washing. Foetid foot sweat causing soreness of toes.Cold, blue nails. Chill blains on feet and toes.Splincter like pains.
- Sarsaparilla Sarsaparilla Officinalis is a useful homeopathic treatment for cracked skin that appears on the sides of the fingers and toes. In such cases, the cracks are very deep. Pain, itching, and burning accompany such cracks. Sarsaparilla is also an excellent choice of homeopathic medicine for treating dry, hard and indurated skin . Skin complaints arising in the summer are also treated very effectively with Sarsaparilla Officinalis