Homeopathy for Winter season Problems
We look forward to winter for its cool weather and the festivities it brings. But it also brings with it various different types of Health Problems. Though the temperature in this city does not drop drastically as compared to the Northern cities yet we face winter problems.
In this article I have listed the most common ailments and simple ways in which you can tackle them.
1. Avoid harsh medicated soaps and those which are highly perfumed. These contain a lot of chemicals which dry the skin up. Use a soap which is glycerine based and mild on the skin. Use minimum soap on the face.
2. Detergents are also very harsh for the skin so avoid putting your hands in soapy water. A good way to prevent this is by wearing gloves if you have to wash the dishes. Again try and use the mildest detergent available.
3. After a bath do not dry your body completely, just lightly pat yourself partially dry. When the body is still moist use non perfumed petroleum jelly. Apply it with little water all over so that the water gets trapped on the skin and prevents dryness.
4. Use an effective moisturizer 2 to 3 times a day if necessary.
5. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Avoid soft drinks and caffeinated beverages. Just have plain simple water as it is the best thing for the skin.
6. Avoid alcohol and smoking as they both tend to cause dryness of the skin.
After taking all these precautions your skin is still dry and causing problems go and see a Homoeopath. There are wonderful remedies for these kind of skin conditions in this system of medicine. Though remedies are given solely on the individuals symptoms, here are a few effective ones for dryness of the skin during winter.
Dry, sensitive, rough and cracked skin during the winter months calls for this remedy. Here there are cracks on the skin which bleed easily. The person has an unbearable desire to itch the skin till it bleeds.
Cracks on the tips of the finger, nipples, calls for this remedy. The person does not feel like wearing anything as the skin has become extremely sensitive. All these symptoms are worse in WINTER and are greatly relieved in summer. Petroleum will help in healing the skin.
This drug is excellent for patients who suffer from skin problems in winter. Here the skin looks very dirty, rough and dry. Itching is intolerable and the person scratches till the part bleeds especially in bed at night. They can't bear the warmth of the bed. All these skin problems seem to disappear in summer and re-occur every winter. Psorinum will give great relief.
1. Keep your immunity in good condition by eating nutritious food, getting your daily dose of exercise and sleeping well.
2. Stay away from people who have a cold. If you are in contact them make sure you wash your hands before eating and keep the plates and glasses separate.
3. If you are also coming down with a cold then drink plenty of fluids and water.
4. Take plenty of rest if you are suffering from a cold.
5. Keep your body well covered and protected from the cold all the time. Exposure to cold can also cause colds.
The constitutional remedy of the individual should always be given. Here are few effective cold remedies.
If you are suffering from repeated violent sneezing, running nose, irritation within the nose, itchy feeling, over-sensitiveness to smells then Sabadilla is your remedy. Here the patient suffers from constant sneezing and watering of the eyes. The nose feels dry from within. Sabadilla patients are affected by the cold weather and air. They also cannot tolerate the odour of flowers. This triggers the sneezing and running of the nose.
They feel better by inhaling warm air and wrapping themselves up. Also feel better by drinking warm things.
Sabadilla will bring on quick relief.
This remedy is excellent for winter colds where the air is dry and cold. Especially effective when at a high altitude the inner lining of your nose dries up and the nose feels blocked. Sometimes there may also be bleeding from the, nose which is bright red in colour. Here the discharge is very scanty and water like. With this cold the person gets fear and anxiety and is extremely worried about his illness. Aconite personalities are highly anxious and restless people.
Aconite will help cure the patient.
3. FOOD POISONING
Do not drink the water or juices made with water outside. Instead a plain soda is better or mineral water. In deserts avoid cold ones like ice-cream, kulfi, milk based ones as they are more likely to give you a stomach infection. Stick to hot deserts which have been cooked and heated. If you do get food poisoning do not stop the vomiting or loose motions suddenly, this a way in which your body is trying to throw out the harmful substances. Just make sure you are well hydrated by taking small sips of water with a little salt and sugar every few minutes. Stay on a clear liquid diet till your digestive system is okay. We have wonderful remedies for food poisoning which are given depending on the patients symptoms.
When there is great nausea and the person cannot tolerate the sight, smell or even the thought of food then this remedy should be thought of. There is constant nausea and loss of appetite. The patient vomits after eating or drinking anything. Diarrhoea may also be present along with vomiting.
The patient feels like taking small sips of water often. There is burning pain in the stomach and a feeling of anxiety. The arsenic alb patient is highly restless even though physically weak. Feels like he is going to die because of this illness. They have great anxiety about their health.Arsenic Alb will remove all the harmful effects of food poisoning and relieve the nausea and vomiting.
Few more Homeopathy remedies for winter ailments. Aconite
One of the remedies most frequently used in winter is Aconite and it is usually recommended when symptoms of a cold come on suddenly, typically after exposure to a dry chilly wind. There may be a severe headache, which is often described in the terms of fullness, or heaviness and may be centred on the left temple and is usually throbbing in nature. The face is typically flushed, hot and red with dry, sore and bloodshot eyes. The throat is normally red and dry with a sensation as if something were “stuck in the throat”. From this, it may be understood that these symptoms of heat and dryness, affecting the left side of the body, with an acute sensitivity to cold winds or draughts are those which may be successfully treated with Aconite.
This remedy may also be used to treat a painful, dry, hacking cough which manifests itself with a feeling of tension and pressure in the left side of the chest. Here a word of caution however: symptoms that persist for more than two to three weeks, or increase in severity, despite the administration of a homeopathic remedy, must be investigated as a matter of urgency by a healthcare professional.
Nevertheless, homeopathy may be used alongside all conventional medication, will not interfere with antibiotics nor will antibiotics stop homeopathic remedies from being effective.
A remedy that is recognised and accepted for use in colds and similar ailments is Gelsemium, which is made from yellow jasmine. The symptoms for which this remedy is ideally suited are feelings of weakness and a trembling sensation in the legs and an all over tiredness. Also, it is very beneficial for people who feel apathetic, lethargic and who want nothing more than just to lie quietly, undisturbed. The tiredness that lingers after influenza, or a similar viral infection, responds well to Gelsemium. Many sufferers of these types of illnesses describe a headache as if a very tight elastic band has been put around their heads and again this common, but distressing symptom, may be helped by this remedy. Whilst Aconite suits patients who feel hot and burning, other patients who experience shivers and chills, accompanied by deprivation of sleep caused by the mind being unable to relax will do well with Gelsemium.
This is a homeopathic remedy that has proved itself in the treatment of a simple cold which presents with a nose that issore and constantly drips and with eyes that water. As this remedy is based on red onion, it should be no surprise that the symptoms which are induced by exposure to it are those which the remedy can help to alleviate. The top lip of the mouth can become red and sore, and sneezing is a major problem. A further symptom is an annoying tickle in the throat which is usually very sore and accompanied by a hoarseness of the voice. For these symptoms and a hacking, tickling cough, Allium cepa will probably suit.
By now, almost everyone will be aware from experience that with almost two hundred recognised rhinoviruses, the symptoms, although generally similar, have subtle variations; a running nose may be the predominant feature of one, whereas a blocked nose may be the symptom of another. One virus may produce a sore throat and another a mild but burning earache and it is because of these subtle variations that the homeopathic remedies that are recommended also work in slightly different ways. An example of this is Euphrasia, eyebright, which in many ways works like Allium cepa, with the difference that this is suggested for an infection that inflames and reddens the eyes, accompanied by catarrh. Other annoying and distressing symptoms which are associated with flu and cold-like viral illnesses are painful joints and aching muscles which can be debilitating. Whilst the remedies discussed so far will all help in some way to alleviate these, when they are severe, Eupatorium perfoliatum is recommended.
Fever develops either as a result of external factors such as infections, or internal factors such as auto-immune disorders, and is the body’s natural defensive response. For many people, a fever below 102°F is not too serious; however, such a fever in infants, small children, the elderly, or those with specific serious illnesses can be a danger sign.
Again, it is useful to differentiate the nature of the fever when considering the best homeopathic remedy. For example:
1) For a fever that strikes suddenly following exposure to cold air or wind, is worse at night, is temporarily relieved by sitting up and breathing open air and is accompanied by fear, anxiety and a great thirst – my favourite remedy is homeopathic Aconite.
2) In another type of fever, the head is hot but the body and hands are cold. This fever may come and go, is generally worse after midnight, generates much restless anxiety, and the person wants to sip at warm drinks – for this, my favourite is Arsenicum.
3) In the case of a sudden, intense fever, possibly including delirium, the face may be brightly flushed and the eyes glassy with dilated pupils. In this instance, the person may also have a sore, bright red throat, thirst for sour drinks, and the fever may worsen with motion, light or noise; for this, my favourite homeopathic remedy is Belladonna.
This condition occurs when swelling of the membranes of the nasal passageways takes place. This is a frequent symptom of a cold and it makes breathing difficult. Locating the correct homeopathic remedy may largely depend upon the nature of the discharge, the presence of crusts and scabs, as well as the other symptoms most often described as “a stuffed nose.”
Here are different options to look at:
1) One remedy I frequently prescribe for complete nasal obstruction that is worse in the cold and better with heat, is accompanied by a nasal tone of voice and thick, stringy mucus, is Kali-bich.
2) Another favourite of mine for nasal obstruction that tends to be one-sided only, and where the mucus runs by day and is blocked at night and may be accompanied by chills and irritability, is Nux-v.
3) Still another I might choose when there is dryness in the nasal passages, mouth, throat and palate, and crusts and scabs may be present in the nose as a result of such dryness, is Sticta.
few more complaints mention by